Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Greatest Gift


I struggled with demons one day - sin committed, with full knowledge that I had wronged my Creator, those who love me, and myself.  The fight within me lasted many rounds, and I, bloodied in battle finally could pick myself up from the mat no more.  I was defeated, the victor an ugly foe - taunting me, humiliating my soul, almost convincing me that I was lost forever.

With all my strength, I lifted my wounded head to look up.  No, my face was lifted up by unseen hands - soft, strong hands. As I opened my eyes, my adversary was nowhere to be seen - and I thanked my Comforter, and begged forgiveness through my tears...but no words of comfort were heard.

Then I looked up - and saw an unseen vision.  My Savior, hung to a cross, spoke unheard words that seared the depths of my heart:

"Dear friend, you are forgiven - I forgave you even before your match was fought.  I knew you would lose this battle - why did not you call on me?  Your battle was not a stranger me, I entered it long before you were to face it - and I was victorious.  You also can be victorious, but only with me at your side - you can never defeat this enemy alone.  After all this time, do you still not understand?  I defeated the enemy for you ages ago - you have always been forgiven, even before you made your request.  Your tortuous pain seems just to you, yet it is needless and in vain.  I forgave you because you are My son, not for your valiant but losing fight.  I love you as none other can love - just because you are My child, and for no other reason...I love My own because they are mine.  Do you not, in your own feeble way, love your children in the same manner?  Rise up, live in peace and joy, My beloved son.  Live each day with faith that the victory is won...living defeated is an offense to My sacrifice, to My victory."

The warfare continues, the battle rages on.

Father, give me strength of faith to know Your mighty hand protects, defends, and provides.

"So abideth Faith, Hope, and Love. But the greatest of these is Love."


No comments:

Post a Comment